Appearing in "Like a Phoenix, from the Ashes"
- Leprechauns of Cassidy Keep (Shadow only) (First appearance)
- New York hospital staff
- Unnamed New Yorkers
- Dr. McKay (Jean's physician) (First appearance)
Races and Species:
- Cyclops' Visor, version 2
- Wolverine's Suit
- Ruby-Quartz Sunglasses
- Image Inducer
- Adamantium (On Wolverine's claws)
- Starcore space shuttle (Destroyed)
Synopsis for "Like a Phoenix, from the Ashes"
Jean Grey is at the helm of the space shuttle transporting the X-Men back to Earth in the midst of a solar flare with lethal amounts of radiation. She attempts to make an emergency landing at JFK Airport. But the out-of-control spacecraft skids off the runway and crashes into Jamaica Bay, practically disintegrating into pieces. The X-Men and Peter Corbeau all rise to the surface and Scott immediately begins looking for signs of Jean. Everyone is shocked, however, when Jean suddenly flies out of the water in a new costume, proclaiming herself to be power incarnate and calling herself “Phoenix.” But no sooner does she majestically rise into the air, she faints and plunges back into the water below her. Cyclops pulls Jean to shore. Everyone tries to make themselves as inconspicuous as possible before the authorities arrive on the scene. It’s unnecessary, however, as the Professor uses his mental powers to erase everyone’s minds so that no-one recalls the X-Men being there.
Sometime later, Wolverine admits that he has feelings for Jean and decides to pick up some flowers to bring to her in the hospital. When he arrives, he finds the other X-Men already in the waiting room and tosses out them before anyone can see. As the X-Men await news of Jean, Scott frets the worst, wondering what he will do if Jean doesn't pull through. His fears are allayed though when Dr. Corbeau and Jean's physician enter the room and tell her gathered friends that she will make a full recovery. The news elates the X-Men and Scott (who alone visits with Jean in her room) breaks down in tears.
Professor X decides that the X-Men have earned a much-needed vacation (despite Wolverine's protests to the contrary). Sean then pipes up with just a suggestion: He has received a letter from Ireland from his solicitor, Mr. Flaherty, who has informed Sean that he’s inherited the Cassidy ancestral home. Sean invites the team to visit it with him. The Professor thinks this a great idea, so Sean, Kurt, Peter, Ororo, and Wolverine travel to Sean's new castle, Cassidy Keep. (Cyclops remains behind to be near Jean.)
Arriving in Ireland, the X-Men are unaware that they are being watched by Sean's evil cousin, Black Tom, who is also a mutant. He tells the groundskeeper, Eamon O'Donnell, to prepare “cousin Sean” and his friends for the trap he has set for them. When Eamon refuses, Tom reminds him that he has hostages he won’t hesitate to kill if he dares defy him. Eamon has no choice but to comply.
Reluctantly, Eamon welcomes the X-Men are welcomed into the Keep and are escorts them to their rooms. Nobody is aware that small creatures watch them from the shadows. Sometime later, just as they are all heading down to the dining hall for dinner, a trap door opens beneath them. They fall into an enclosed chamber before Black Tom and his partner.... the Juggernaut! Before anyone can react, Storm suddenly breaks down in a panic and screams, having succumbed to a crippling bout of claustrophobia.
- This story continues into the next issue.
- The events of this issue have been significantly retconned over time: It is later revealed that the "Jean" who arises out of the water is, in fact, a Phoenix Force duplicate of her, while the real Jean Grey is contained in a recuperative cocoon at the bottom of Jamaica Bay. Therefore, this is is the real Jean's last appearance until Avengers #263, Fantastic Four #286, and X-Factor #1 when this storyline is re-visited.
- Storm first displays her trick of running an electrical current through the unstable molecules of her costume, reversing the polarity and enabling it to instantaneously transform into her street clothes (or vice versa).
- Nightcrawler uses Tony Stark's Image Inducer to disguise himself as the 1930's movie star Errol Flynn while at the airport crash site and in the hospital.
- This is the first time Wolverine reveals he is attracted to Jean Grey.
- references: X-Men #100 and X-Men #97
- With this issue, Marvel raised the cover price to 30 cents.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss X-Men Vol 1 101 on the forums
- 5 Image(s) from X-Men Vol 1 101
- 4 Reprints of X-Men Vol 1 101
- This is the conclusion of a four-part story-line involving the Sentinels and the X-Men's return from their Space Station base that began in X-Men #98 - X-Men #100.
- This is the start of a three-part storyline featuring Juggernaut and Black Tom that continues next issue and concludes in X-Men #103.
Links and References
- The Official Marvel Index to the X-Men #5 - See for further referencing
- The Official Marvel Index to the X-Men Vol 2 #2 - See for further referencing
|Like this? Let us know!|