The daughter of Ta-Lo guardian Ying Li and Ten Rings leader Xu Wenwu, Xialing was denied the training of the Ten Rings received by her brother Shang-Chi after her mother died at the hands of the Iron Gang. However she was still determined to learn everything and so did so herself.
Before her brother was sent on a mission to kill the one responsible for the Iron Gang's killing of her mother, Shang-Chi promised her he would be back in three days. This proved to be untrue as Shang-Chi carried out the mission but then hid in the United States for ten years. After realizing he would not return, Xialing escaped through tunnels in the Ten Rings Compound and formed her own fighting ring in Macau.
After receiving a false postcard, Shang-Chi traveled to Macau to meet up with his sister who fought him and won before talking anything out. While discussing they were ambushed by the Ten Rings and they captured her pendant, received by her mother. Xialing along with Shang-Chi and Katy were then taken back to the Ten Rings Compound where they were explained by Wenwu that he believed Ying Li to be calling him and that she was trapped behind a gate in Ta-Lo. After not following along with Wenwu's plans they were thrown in jail where they met Trevor Slattery and Morris and planned to get to Ta-Lo first. Escaping through the tunnels another time, the group stole Razor Fist's Car and traveled through the maze to enter Ta-Lo with the help of Morris and Trevor.
After the defeat of the Dweller-In-Darkness and the death of Wenwu, Shang-Chi left Xialing to dismantle the Ten Rings. However she instead opted to take over the organization as its new leader.
Powers and Abilities
- Master Martial Artist: Trained herself after observing the teachings of Wenwu and the Ten Rings. She was able to best Shang-Chi in a fight although he was not giving his best
- Multilingual: Speaks at least English and Chinese
- Meng'er Zhang portrays Xu Xialing in the film Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings.
- Xu Xialing was partially inspired by Zheng Bao Yu:
- She has a club called Golden Daggers, the same name of a sect that Bao Yu had;
- At the end of Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, she took over her father's organization, the Ten Rings, while, in the comics, Bao Yu took over the Order of the Hai-Dai, one of the names used by his father's organization.