Zoltan Drago was the proprietor of a financially-ailing wax museum who attempted to use his knowledge of chemistry to create an elixir which would turn his wax statues into living creatures, with which he would create a private army. The chemical failed to create life in wax, but Drago discovered the brew he had created could evoke fear in those who inhaled it. Designing a frightening costume for himself, Drago became Mr. Fear.
Fear used his fear-gas to make terrified slaves of the brutish Ox of the Enforcers and the Eel. Naming his triumvarate the Fellowship of Fear, Drago ran afoul of, and was soundly defeated by Daredevil. Shortly after his release from prison he was murdered by Starr Saxon, a criminal inventor and assassin who took on the guise of Mr. Fear to torment Daredevil further.
After Saxon left, a witness, lawyer Lawrence Cranston, approached the dying Mr. Fear. Mr. Fear revealed Cranston the location of hidden caches, expecting that Cranston would save his life in return. Cranston failed to save Mr. Fear and, in turn, took over the identity to become Mr. Fear III.
Powers and Abilities
Chronic exposure to his various chemicals has resulted in accumulation of his fear drug within his skin. Though he has not proven able to utilize this himself, samples of his skin were used by Ariel Tremmore to gain superhuman powers as Shock.
Mr. Fear was vulnerable to his own fear gas. According to his psychological evaluation while in prison it was revealed that Drago had a laundry list of phobias, primary among those was a fear of heights.
- Fear Gas: Mister Fear uses compounds based on pheromones, chemicals produced by most animals, used to communicate a variety of simple messages over distances. The particular pheromone he uses is the flight-scent pheromone, which stimulates fear reactions in herd animals. This drug, tailored for human beings, whose reactions to pheromones are not completely understood, induces severe anxiety, fear, and panic in his victims, rendering them incapable of fighting or resisting his will. The drug is most commonly used in the form of gas pellets shot from a gun. The pellets rupture on contact, releasing the flight scent, which is inhaled by the victim. The dosage contained in one pellet is enough to incapacitate a normal adult male for about 15 minutes, or an exceptionally fit male, such as Daredevil, for about five minutes. The side effects of anxiety, edginess, and mild nausea can persist for several days.
Fear pheromone administered primarily by gas pellets, occasionally by syringe
- 5 appearance(s) of Zoltan Drago (Earth-616)
- 2 minor appearance(s) of Zoltan Drago (Earth-616)
- 3 mention(s) of Zoltan Drago (Earth-616)
- 6 image(s) of Zoltan Drago (Earth-616)
- 1 quotation(s) by or about Zoltan Drago (Earth-616)
- 1 item(s) used/owned by Zoltan Drago (Earth-616)