Zoroaster, or Zoroazztor (as he was known during the Hyborian Age), was an ancient sorcerer, said to be older than time itself. Due to his great wisdom, he was chosen to be the keeper of the Crown of Wisdom, one of the fabled Cornerstones of Creation. He sought to use the Crown for good, an effort which broke his mind.
While on a quest to claim the Cornerstones, Conan of Cimmeria and Princess Noyo came to Zoroaster's mosque to acquire the Crown of Wisdom. Noyo challenged Zoroaster to a board game with the winner getting the Crown. After several hours Zoroaster won the game and claimed possession of the Crown for himself. In retaliation, Conan set fire to Zoroaster's library. Zoroaster desperately tried to save his books while Conan grabbed the Crown and attempted to flee. Unable to prevent the destruction of his books, Zoroaster declared Conan and Noyo to be evil, dishonest liars, and magically caused the door to his mosque to vanish, trapping them inside. Zoroaster himself then vanished.
Zoroaster saw the world as a cosmic struggle between aöa ("truth") and druj ("lie").
A few arcane and mystic documents are tied to Zoroaster (either written by him or some other relation):
- According to the Logomancer of Atlantis, the Oracles of Zoroaster (but also the Darkhold, the Necronomicon, and other mystic scrolls and books) were imperfect copies of the ancient writings etched on the walls of R'llyeh, reportedly produced by ancient beings.
- The Secrets Teachings of Zoroaster, an arcane volume.
- Mystic Arts: Zoroaster practiced magic at the level of a Sorcerer Supreme.
- Insanity: Zoroaster had his mind broken by the Serpent Crown, but presumably recovered.
- Flying carpet
- The Iranistani Zoroazztor was confirmed to be the Persian prophet Zoroaster in his early guise by David Sexton, writer of Marvel Tarot #1, who originally thought of him as connected to the Eternals and Deviants.
- 1 Appearances of Zoroaster (Earth-616)
- Minor Appearances of Zoroaster (Earth-616)
- Media Zoroaster (Earth-616) was Mentioned in
- 3 Images featuring Zoroaster (Earth-616)
- 1 Quotations by or about Zoroaster (Earth-616)
- Character Gallery: Zoroaster (Earth-616)
- Zoroaster at Wikipedia.org
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Conan the Barbarian #129
- Zoroaster at the Marvel Appendix, comments, quote from David Sexton
- Howard the Duck Vol 3 #6
- Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A-Z #7; Magic - From the Journals of Ian McNee: History of the Sorcerer Supreme
- Namor: The First Mutant #3
- Marvel Graphic Novel #23: Into Shamballa
- Marvel Tarot #1; Timeline of the Sorcerer Supreme
|Like this? Let us know!|